Because CFMS is affiliated with the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies, our members observe the following principles:
- I will respect both private and public property and will do no collecting on privately owned
land without permission from the owner.
- I will keep informed on all laws, regulations and rules governing collecting on private lands
and will observe them.
- I will to the best of my ability, ascertain the boundary lines of property on which I plan to
- I will use no firearms or blasting materials in collecting areas.
- I will cause no willful damage to property of any kind, such as fences, signs, buildings, etc.
- I will leave all gates as found.
- I will build fires only in designated or safe places and will be certain they are completely
extinguished before leaving the area.
- I will discard no burning materials - - matches, cigarettes, etc.
- I will fill all excavation holes which may be dangerous to livestock.
- I will not contaminate wells, creeks, or other water supplies.
- I will cause no willful damage to collecting material and will take home only what I can
- I will practice conservation and undertake to utilize fully and well the materials I have
collected and will recycle my surplus for the pleasure and benefit of others.
- I will support the Rockhound Project H.E.L.P. (Help Eliminate Litter Please) and will leave
all collecting areas devoid of litter, regardless of how found.
- I will cooperate with Field Trip Leaders and those in designated authority in all collecting
- I will report to my Club or Federation Officers, Bureau of Land Management, or other
proper authorities, any deposit of petrified wood or other material on public lands which
should be protected for the enjoyment of future generations and for public educational and
- I will appreciate and protect our heritage of Natural Resources.
- I will observe the "Golden Rule", will use Good Outdoor Manners and will at all times
conduct myself in a manner which will add to the stature and Public Image of Rockhounds